Monday, April 03, 2006

What is your cover? part 2

What is your cover?

In part 1 I laid a positive foundation of what our cover should be, Christ, our armor. This week, I want to discuss covers we Christians should destroy.

Conservative Christians rate similarly to non Christians on many moral issues. Divorce rates, for example are the same for both. Why?

One main cause is the façade we put before the world, the church, our family, and friends; hiding our real selves. Non-Christians realize it is okay not to be perfect. Christians often struggle with that concept.

I have never been to Landmark church of Christ in Montgomery, Alabama, but I’ve spent time with their preacher, Buddy Bell. People respond at Landmark virtually every Sunday with public confession, laying their burdens before the cross. They let go of the “I am a Christian, so I have to look like everything is perfect and I am no longer struggling with sin” façade.

It is amazing what kind of healing and purging affect public confession has on Christians. Landmark’s divorces have gone down, and conversions have skyrocketed (they are now an 1,150 member congregation and growing). People from the community come and see a church full of sinners on a journey. They say, “I can be a part of that group. They are like me.”

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Mat 11:28-30 NIV)

You can give Christ your burdens; confess your weaknesses, and find rest for your soul.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed... (James 5:16 NIV)

Have you constructed a façade? What is your cover? For what burdens can I pray for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home