Monday, February 04, 2008

Big Steps

This weekend I built the main structure for our children's swingset. I started from scratch, with a plan in my head. It's turning out okay, except one thing. I made the ladder rather hastely Sunday afternoon only to realize that the steps are too far apart for my almost two-year-old daughter to climb. The slide remains out of her reach. How did that happen? I think this afternoon I'll be working on another ladder.

I'm reminded of a quote I read in high school. "Set your castle in the clouds. Then, build steps to reach it." Fortunately, God is the contractor on my castle in the clouds. Unfortunatly, there is no way I can build steps to reach it. Heaven is to far.

So God sent his son to make human-sized steps to a heaven-sized castle.

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." (1 Pet 2:21 NIV)

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" (John 14:6 NIV)

May God bless your journey as you follow him to your castle in the clouds!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger III said...

WOW! Fantastic image.

Another example of how relying solely on the Historical-Critical method of interpreting Scripture fails is with Genesis 11 & 12. Read anything on Genesis and you'll see that scholars divide Genesis into two parts: chapters 1-11 & 12-50. However, have you noticed how the two major stories of these chapters are intended to be interconnected?

Genesis 11:3-4
They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

Notice that they wanted to build for themselves a home BY THEMSELVES, so that they could make a name for themselves ON THEIR OWN, so that they would not be scattered and could be one nation ON THEIR OWN TERMS. Now...

Genesis 12:1-3
The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

"I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

It's as if God is saying, "If you want to do anything on your own, you're setting yourself up for failure. It's not that I don't want you to have them, but I'm going to be God & am willing to GIVE you all things."

God withholds from us nothing except Godhood. And rightly so, because he didn't create us to be gods & would could not handle it. Part of the lesson of the Tower of Babel, and of Christ's atoning work, is that we can't build our own steps to reach our castle in the clouds.

Fantastic post, Daniel.

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful metaphor - and isn't that how God reaches us in the first place? We wish you were still here at HU to share your thoughts.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home