Wednesday, February 06, 2008

He Won't Let Go

Helping me grab a few things on a short errand to Target the other day, my three-year-old son, Corban carried an armload of merchandise. I noticed him struggling to get all items he was holding under one arm. So I helped him get things situated and secure. Then, I found out why he wanted the free hand. “Daddy, I want to hold your hand.” I was elated that my three-year-old son wanted to be close to me, feel that connection with his father, bond for a few moments as we made our way to the checkout. “I’d love to hold your hand, buddy.” He grabbed two of my fingers and held tight. Enveloping his hand in mine I asked, “Why do you want to hold daddy’s hand, Corban?” He promptly replied, “Because I don’t want anybody to take me.” “Neither do I, son. Don’t worry, I won’t let go.”

My son offered evidence that he had learned a lesson we have striven to teach: “There are people out there who want to take you away from mommy and daddy, so stay close.” Rachael and I don’t want our children to grow up afraid of people they don’t know, people who will one day be the objects of their love, service and evangelism. Instead, we want them to have a healthy fear of the ability of people with evil intentions to snatch them up and carry them off. I can assure you, as cautious as Corban may become, his fear of being taken pales compared to my fear of losing him.

So with our heavenly Father who uses Luke 15 to articulate this personal fear. A shepherd loses one sheep from a flock of a hundred. His love for that sheep compels him to take drastic measures to find her and bring her home. A poor woman loses one of her 10 silver coins. She turns the house over to look for it and gathers friends when it is found. A father loses a son who wanders into the cruel distant country. Hungry reality gnaws on the boy’s heart and he returns to find his father’s open arms running to greet him weeping, rejoicing.

You are that important to God. His fear of losing you dwarfs your fear of being lost. Hold tightly to our Father’s hand so nobody will take you away. He swears he won’t let go.

1 Comments:

Blogger III said...

That little boy is so adorable.

Thanks for the lesson. I love reading these posts where you learn, or at least impart to us readers, the spiritual truths you see in your life as a father. Maybe you could put these together & make them into a book like Chris Seidman's:

Little Buddy

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home